authority marketing, blogging, branding, build your personal brand, content marketing, domain expert, fashion brands, fashion entrepreneurs, influence the influencers, influencer, Instagram influencer, personal brand
Have you noticed, of late, just how many influencers there are on Instagram? That’s the thing with marketing- gather enough people and demonstrate expertise, and you have a market for your products.
Instagram influencers aside, personal branding is the buzzword of the day. “If you don’t build a personal brand, you have no influence,” they say. This is because we are a generation that loves stories. Born to a generation that experienced globalization and the consumerism that came with it, today’s crowd needs an experience. And even better, they need the experience to come from someone they can trust, because of (drumroll) their past experience.
Enter, authority marketing.
Unlike regular marketing that says, ‘here’s a product, it is so awesome!’, authority marketing says, ‘here’s a product, and here’s why you’ll like it. I know, because I’ve tried it.’
Why do celebrities launch, endorse and be seen in their own fashion labels? Think Beyoncé, or Gwyneth Paltrow for Goop- these celebs know that products launched, tried and endorsed by them have a better chance of selling in the market. In other words, gone are the days of bringing in a celebrity and advertising a product. Today’s customers ask, “Why should I listen to this celebrity on this matter?”
Now that we’ve covered the concept, how can you adopt authority marketing to promote your fashion business?
- Build Your Personal Brand. Don’t just be a face in the crowd when you can be the face of your brand. Alicia Souza does this right, through her eponymous brand and also through her Instagram handle. Many Alicia Souza customers can genuinely claim that they know the person behind the product. The same goes for you. What are your fashion sensibilities and how do they influence your brand? Put it out there.
- Use Content: Have you ever wondered why copywriters make as much as they do, seeing as they actually write so little? Because lines like ‘Because she’s worth it’ sell products, and brands know it. Market your product through content- offer helpful guides, styling tips, day-to-night looks. The list of things you can do with your material is almost endless. Become an authority through the written word.
- Influence The Influencers: Make your product so good that authority has no option but to advertise it. But don’t stop at that. Influence your influencers. Send them free samples to try. Ask for reviews. Tell them your story. In short, make an impression on them.
- Don’t Be Salesy: Sounds counterintuitive? Yes, we’re asking you to sell a product by not selling it at all. Because, when a product speaks for itself, there is no need to sell it actively. Take a look at Fizzy Goblet. They make handcrafted footwear. But they make the footwear so unique that you can’t resist buying. They tell a story around each piece with exciting product titles. What can you do to make the product stand out?
- Get Coverage for Yourself: Grab every interview and every podcast opportunity that comes along. Answer questions thoroughly. Show the world that you are an expert. You can also submit articles about your entrepreneurial journey to relevant publications to get featured.
- Attend Events: If you knew just how many deals are closed at an event, you wouldn’t miss attending a single one of them. Sign up for regional fashion events, or put models in your clothes for a pop-up. Advertise to many people in one go, without making it look like an advertisement at all.
Remember, it is all about authority. The more of an expert you come across as, the more people will believe you and take your advice. Consider offering free in-store consultations with yourself. Make the story of the brand the story of you. There’s no better time than now to do it.
Supriya Ghurye is the founder and owner of Fuel4Fashion. She is a Freelance Fashion Designer and Brand Consultant helping fashion brands to create great products from idea to launch. Fuel4Fashion social links: Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram